What is the Palmetto Pathfinder Program?
In 2021, the South Carolina Department of Veterans' Affairs (SCDVA) chose Vantage Point’s Leadership Development Course as the entry point to SCDVA’s Palmetto Pathfinder Program. The Pathfinder program was created as an upstream approach to reduce Veteran suicide in South Carolina. It is a human-to-human connection-based approach to ease the transition out of military service. Pathfinders are Veteran volunteers trained and equipped to guide fellow Veterans to organizations and resources within the state.
The program is comprised of military Veterans from all demographics who desire to guide and support service members and fellow Veterans transitioning into civilian life in South Carolina. Potential Pathfinders are immersed in VPF’s three-day intensive Leadership Development Course, spending time on interpersonal growth work as a part of the preparation to become an SCDVA Palmetto Pathfinder. These volunteers will work directly with the SCDVA. Each Pathfinder will guide up to ten fellow Veterans in their communities across South Carolina to ensure they find the right resources and support.
Vantage Point Foundation is honored to be a part of SCDVA’s efforts to improve Veterans’ social-connectedness and progression into civilian life. If you are a Veteran in South Carolina and would like to apply to serve as a Pathfinder, CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
WATCH OUR SCDVA NEWS MINUTE on the Palmetto Pathfinder Program by CLICKING HERE.
A Pathfinder is...
• A Veteran who has made significant progress in their post-military transition;
• Who is aware of resources in their community;
• Who is empowered to helping others;
• Who wants to support their peers in achieving their own success.
"I am truly excited to be able to say that I am a South Carolina PATHFINDER! As a trained Pathfinder, I have the opportunity to connect with more Veterans across the state. Not only am I positioned be a support and resource for Veterans who could benefit from transitional coaching, but I can turn around and look at the same network and find a PATHFINDER to support me in my post military needs. Its a great program and i'm grateful to be able to continue to support the Veteran Community."
Who Can Pathfinders Support?
• Veterans transitioning out of the military.
• Veterans moving to South Carolina or the area, needing assistance to local resources.
• Veterans working through Veterans Treatment Court, Veterans Justice Outreach Program, VA STAR Program, or other VA initiatives.
• Veterans looking for personal assistance to identify and connect with resources.
Concept of Operation